Monday, April 2, 2012

The Ground Rules


Finding out about my husband’s affair wasn’t as bad as learning that he’s been cleaning out the cleaning girl from his office. I have a master’s degree and she has a mop. Could it get more humiliating? So this is what he’s been doing “while working late.”

I have obviously not come to terms with my now defunct marriage, but keeping busy is helping me to heal. It also keeps my fantasies at bay. (The one where I bust in on my husband and his cheap chickadee while wielding a terribly intimidating weapon and well, intimidating the hell out of them if my fav.) 
And, I’m finding clarity thanks in large part to those of you who have offered insight, along with dear friends who are able to understand me through my sniffles. One thing I’ve realized is that women (with the exception of the one who thought it was okay to shag a married man) typically want to be labeled as “good,” “responsible,” “reliable.”
I’m no different, but I’m starting to wish I were. I pride myself on being on time, remembering birthdays (even before Facebook reminders) and basically, not doing anything crazy. But look where it’s gotten me.
Wouldn’t it be great if we could act on our impulses instead of always worrying how things would look to other people? Of course there would have to be certain ground rules. 
On the “don’t do it” front:
1. No unsavory public behavior. (If the urge to skinny dip in a public fountain ensues, ignore it!)
2. No unsavory use of married men. (There are plenty of fish in the sea, no need to swim with someone else’s.)
On the “go for it” front:
1. The next time that cute guy at Trader Joe’s asks me if I need help with my groceries the answer is going to be “Yes!”
2. When a cute stranger catches my eye I will not look away!
I’m sure I must be missing a few more. Care to add to either list?

No comments:

Post a Comment